Monday, August 15, 2016

Second Oil Analysis Report

I changed the oil again at about 5,000 miles.  After the first change, I wasn't thrilled with how the oil looked.  It was jet black.  And very thin.  Maybe that's a diesel thing and I am new to it.  Anyway, I tested it again.  And again, the results do not look great to me, but I am comparing them to the results I am used to from classic BMW gasoline engines.  I don't like seeing copper show up.  Usually that would be from bearing wear.  The iron seems high too.  I will keep tabs on this engine for sure.

Note that Blackstone incorrectly assumed I was using Castrol Edge LL04 oil.  That is wrong.  I am using only BMW-branded (Shell) LL04 diesel oil.

I do feel good about NOT waiting for the "free" oil changes.  The intervals seem way too high.

On the brighter side, this engine seems to burn no oil.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.


No comments:

Post a Comment